Dr. Bormann’s Welcome Letter
to the Rumson Community
Here we are in August! School will soon start and if you are like me, you are wondering what happened to those “lazy days of summer”! Ready or not, the summer vacation is drawing to a close and you will soon be packing those backpacks, our students will be making their way through the neighborhood, and the 2015-2016 school year will be underway.
This letter marks my first correspondence to you for the new school year and as the district’s Superintendent. This year at Forrestdale and Deane Porter we will carry on our effort and encourage the involvement of students, teachers, staff, parents, and the community in working together as a team! With a focus on mutual goals for students’ academic, social, and emotional success, together, we can make this a productive school year for everyone. Enclosed in this letter is a variety of information that will get us all off to a great start as a team.
- Class assignments and schedules for students in grades PreK-8 are enclosed. If you have any questions regarding the class assignment and schedule please contact us prior to the start of school but understand much thought went into the class arrangements and little can be done to alter these arrangements. This year our schedules have experienced an overhaul due to the additional time added to the instructional day as a result of the Board of Education and Rumson Education Association’s collective bargaining agreement. The result of this overhaul has resulted in:
- A school start time of 8:30 am for all students in the district. The doors of Deane Porter and Forrestdale will be open at 8:25 am to begin receiving the students. Morning club times will now begin at 7:45 am.
- A 9-period school day with 40 minute periods. This has resulted in additional instructional time for ELA and Math, the creation of a Morning Meeting time for character education, and pilot programs for a variety of grades in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and College and Career Readiness (Study Skills, Financial Literacy, and Career Explorations).
- Professional learning time built into teacher’s work day to focus on job-embedded, student-data driven decision-making in the areas of curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Communication is paramount to our team effort. As a result the administrative team and I have been focused on ensuring new pathways to share with the community highlighting the great teaching, learning, and experiences occurring in the Rumson School District.
- For those of you that use Twitter you can now follow us at @Rumsonbulldawgs
- For those of you that use Facebook you can now follow us at Rumson School District page (there are several- the official one is the one with the picture of Forrestdale School and a Bulldog)
- For those of you who want to receive reminder notifications through Remind for Deane Porter School from Mrs. Feeney please text @Bulldogsdp to 81010 (ex. bus pickup is late, spirit days, Back to School Nights, etc.)
- For those of you who want to receive reminder notifications through Remind for Forrestdale from Mrs. Romano please text @BulldogsFD to 81010 (ex. bus pickup is late, spirit days, Back to School Nights, etc.)
- For those of you who want to receive reminder notifications through Remind for the Rumson School District from Dr. Bormann please text @rumsonsd to 81010 (ex. board meeting events, school accolades, safety or security reminders, etc.)
- Please look for the revamping of our district website in the early fall!
- Blackboard Connect will continue to be used to send out important e-blasts to parents. There is no need to register for this.
- Parent/Student Handbook - Your child will be bringing home the Parent/Student Handbook during the first week of school. Teachers will review the handbook with students as there are numerous revisions and updates. In order to embrace our team effort we ask that you also review the expectations and information with your child and utilize the handbook as a source of information for Board of Education policies and school procedures. Key Board policies are also posted on the district website.
- This year we will be continuing our “Take Home Tuesday” for flyers and other announcements. Any flyers that are to be sent home must be approved by administration and must be dropped off to the main office by Monday afternoon. We cannot guarantee flyers submitted after this time will be sent home on Tuesday.
- Please understand we value the teachers’ time with the students and want to do everything we can to support the time they have with them. As a result, we will be working hard this year to minimize classroom interruptions during instructional time. Secretaries have been asked not to call into classrooms during instructional time to provide students with messages or to inform them items have been left in the office for them. We have arranged alternate procedures for students to check on items they may need to pick up in the office or to receive messages left with the main office.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank those members of Forrestdale and Deane Porter that do not get recognized often enough. They have been an indispensible resource to me and our Rumson school community as we prepare for the opening of school. I hope you join me in showing our appreciation to the custodial staff who have been tirelessly working to prepare the building and grounds for the new school year. They have guided various building projects:
- new roof over the FD gymnasium;
- renovated adult bathroom facilities;
- renovated FD nurses office;
- rejuvenated FD media center;
- new DP parking lot;
- new lighting, ceilings and floors in various locations;
- relocation of the Curriculum Office to provide additional classroom space for class size reductions.
In addition, we must all take some time to stop in and thank our office staff for their efforts in addressing all the details necessary for a successful school opening. On another note, I would like to thank our administrative team for their dedication and support in helping me to ensure that this school year elevates the success, safety, and comfort of our students. Finally, I could not close without thanking all of the dedicated teachers who have taken time out of their summer to come in and work together to plan a great year for the students and community!
As you can see, we are off to a great start for the new school year; now I invite you, the parents, to join the team to make this a most successful year for our children.
Get the Rumson School app!
|Summer Reading and Math Assignments|
|District Testing Calendar|
|Mission Statement (pdf)|
|School Report Card|
|Report Bullying Incident|
|Rumson Policy Manual|
|Lunch Home Page|
|Volunteer Fingerprinting Information|
|School Safety Committee Parent Application|
|Request Maintenance or Use of School Facilities|
|Use of Facilities Forms|
|Board Agenda and Minutes|
|Rumson Education Foundation|
|RFH Home Page|
|Borough of Rumson|
|Rumson-Fair Haven Community Alliance|
|School Lunch Questions|
|Bus Transportation Questions|
Transportation Post Cards
Transportation Post Cards are in the mail!
Important Election Dates (pdf)
HIB School Self-Assessment
Deane Porter and Forrestdale schools recently submitted the results of the annual NJDOE School Self-Assessment for Determining Grades under the Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act. Please click the "More" link to view the questionnaire and the schools' responses.
User Friendly 2015-16 Budget (pdf)
Board of Education Goals 2014-2015
Here are the Board of Education and District Goals for the 2014-2015 school year.
BOE Newsletter - Spring 2015 (pdf)
Including 15-16 Budget information and update on the Superintendent search.
Non-resident Tuition Students
The Rumson School District accepts applications for non-resident tuition students who wish to attend our Full-Day Kindergarten and/or our K-8 Academic program for the 2015-2016 school year. **Placements are limited depending on enrollment.
Chain of Command (pdf)
To assist in working with parents and community members, and in accordance with Rumson Board of Education Policy #9130, a “chain of command” has been established to model where to begin the communication sequence regarding a problem or concern.
QSAC has designated the Rumson Borough School District as a High Performing District
SHOP Amazon & SUPPORT the REF! A portion of your purchase amount will go to the REF so we can continue making incredible strides supporting our Deane-Porter & Forrestdale Schools! Thank you!
Click "More" and start shopping!
| Upcoming Events |
|Tue Sep 1|
|PD Day for Teachers|
|Wed Sep 2|
|PD Day for Teachers|
|Thu Sep 3|
|School Opens for Students|
|1:00 pm Dismissal|
|Fri Sep 4|
|1:00 pm Dismissal|
|Mon Sep 7|
|LABOR DAY SCHOOL CLOSED|